Pages

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Relationship Ajustments in a foreign country


I have never left Malaysia more than one month at a time. I have never studied overseas or stayed far from my parents since the day I was born. Unlike my husband, Ivan, who grew up overseas most of his teenage life, apart from his family. So, when he received a posting to Bangkok, Thailand, I did not know the full extend of the adjustment.

Adventurous and easygoing by nature, I embarked on the move as a challenge. The arrangements of renting out our apartment, selling both the cars, sourcing for a mover, saying goodbyes, etc, etc. was very tedious. Not to mention that I had to handle a major event at my workplace just before leaving. All the stress was crazy!

From a buzzing busy life in Malaysia, suddenly thrown into a country that speaks very little English and majority of the time, NO English, traffic jam everywhere, big metropolitan city, congestion and homebound. It was a real challenge alright!

April 16, 2006 is my birthday, Easter and the day I left Malaysia to relocate to Thailand. Three in one? I did not know that leaving my family, especially my Mother would be that difficult. There was a deep sense of loss.

I am the 3rd child in a family with 3 other siblings. The middle child syndrome, they say. My elder sister is residing in Australia and my youngest brother in Singapore. My eldest brother is in Malaysia but very caught up with his business. So, that leaves all the attention to me. Mom baby sat my eldest son Joel for 2 years, so, that relationship was close.

Homesickness rose within me when I was at the airport, leaving from KLIA to Don Mueang Airport, Bangkok, Thailand. A strange feeling which I have not felt before. It was difficult to describe the emotions.



No comments: