Pages

Friday, February 5, 2010

Worth a million dollars

Now that Joel is going to school, he has friends of his age. Teenagers. That word might reek fear in some parents.


While Joel is in his teenage-hood, Ethaniel is emerging from his toddler-hood and barely in his boyhood (eventhough he will always be my baby), I didn't realise the adjustment both of them is going through. Previously, both of this boys were in the same world. But now, the environment seems to threaten it. Not necessary bad. Just different.


This happened in the car the other day.....


"Ethaniel, can you please behave normally infront of my friends? Don't make your shoulder funny or talk too much (as if that is possible)" complained Joel.


"I am not!!!" denied Ethaniel.


"My friend said that you talk too much and said that you complained about something" continued Joel like a dog not letting go of its bone.


"I do not!" said Ethaniel, his face now flushed. If it goes any longer, he might even start to tear.


They have been going to and fro and I knew that its a job for Mummy to butt in. We are obviously going nowhere with this....


I told Ethaniel to tone down when Joel's friends are around. Obviously some of his behaviours are causing embarrassment to him, this teenager. I also told Joel that he needed to understand that Ethaniel likes to talk. Its going to be impossible for him to be quiet. After all, I am his Mummy, I know that is impossible, unless he is asleep or his mouth is stuffed with food.


I had to ask Joel.


"Why didn't you stand up for your brother?" I felt annoyed.


"I did. I told them not to complain about my brother. And they don't. Not anymore" exclaimed Joel.


At that instant, I felt like jumping on him and giving him a hundred kisses. But of course, I couldn't, I was driving. So, I pat him on the head and ruffled his hair.


"I am proud of you for standing up for your brother", I said, beaming.


You should have seen the contented smile on my face and the warmth in my heart.


Worth a million dollars....


All the memories of their rolling on the bed, hitting each other, roughing it out, arguing loudly in the car, annoying their Mummy with this constant boy-play was momentarily erased... Bliss for a few seconds...



No comments: