Pages

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Penang Part 1

We were on a schedule. We needed to leave the house by 9am. The weather looked cloudy, maybe it might rain. Looks like it.


After returning to Malaysia for almost 4 months, this is our first time making an outstation trip.


Since I have been back to Malaysia, things has been so busy that during weekends I just wanted to hang out at home, maybe take out a book or lie down. That is my ideal weekend. The thought of packing, sitting in the car for hours, washing all the laundry after returning, etc was a real deterrent.


I didn't pack till at about 12am the day before. Talking about last minute.


I remembered when I was a teenager, I used to pack months before the annual youth camp which was the hi-light of my life. This camp is usually held at the end of the year around December. I would save up by washing car belonging to my bro-in-law and his siblings. I was never paid any money for doing chores at home. Unlike my children.

When I was a child, we didn't go for any holiday or trips. School holidays was spent at home day after day, months after months. No trip to the beach, the park, the mountains, not to mention overseas trips. Not even Singapore. Yet, I never complained. When my schoolmates returned from holidays to the USA, I thought in my mind, "Wow, so fortunate".

Unlike my children, who are so blessed. Joel and Ethaniel both went overseas when they turned 2 yrs old. Joel have been to Australia - twice, USA, Singapore, almost the whole of Thailand, most part of Malaysia. Whilst I first boarded a plane when I was 21 years old to East Malaysia for a Mission Trip - 45 mins away, I think.


Anyway, back to the trip.


Our Bangkok Cell Member is having their wedding in Penang. We have promised them to be there months before we returned to Malaysia. The whole cell group will be there. Everyone has made the effort to fly/take the train and be in Penang to witness their wedding and celebrate this very special occasion with them. Talking about close knit family!!!


That is something I miss about Bangkok friends. Everyone is so close to each other and very often we treat each other like family members. Going out of the way to be nice, helpful and caring. Even nicer than some of our own family members who are sometimes so pedantic, resentful and selfish.


To be continued ....

No comments: