Pages

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Day 4 (Part 3): Cruise on Sea of Galilee

I am into Day 4 - Part 3. Its pretty obvious that today is very hectic, as usual. We are probably only half way through the day. There is at least 3 more places to go...


Some Facts about the Sea of Galilee (clipped from here)

As bodies of (fresh) water in the Middle East go, the Sea of Galilee is quite large. It's about 12½ miles (20 kilometers) from north to south, and 7½ miles (12 kilometers) east to west at its widest. The Jordan River effectively flows through the Sea of Galilee, entering in the north and exiting in the south.

The Sea of Galilee is mentioned in The Bible by 3 other names:

1. The Sea of Kinnereth (or Chinnereth), from its harp-like shape.
2. The Sea of Tiberias.
3. The Lake of Gennesareth.

The Sea of Galilee is fed by the Jordan River, rainfall and springs on the northern side. More properly designated a lake, the Kinneret (the OT and modern name) is 13 miles wide and 7 miles long. At its deepest point the lake is only 150 feet deep. The rabbis said of it, "Although God has created seven seas, yet He has chosen this one as His special delight."



The Sea of Galilee is very calm today. We were promised a cruise on a boat for an hour. We later discovered that the one hour passed on TOO FAST.

We boarded the boat and there was an outgoing group, Malaysians from PJ. What do you know. Such a small world!! I felt at home :-)



We were going to board a similar boat as this



After we boarded the boat, they raised the Malaysian and Singaporean flag. We proceeded to sing our National Anthem, separately. A little embarrassing because it has been years since we sang "Negaraku".


This same man in the above picture is really cute. Let me explain. As I was boarding the boat, he helped me down the steps by holding my left hand while I held my umbrella with the right. Suddenly he tilted his head, squinting and touching his left eye with his fingers and had a pained look on his face whilst staring at the edge of my umbrella. It was obvious that my umbrella had poked his eyes. Then his face cracked a cheeky smile and laughed. "Gotcha!" I couldn't help laughing. I was so tickled by his reaction. He really had a sense of humor. I can never miss an opportunity to have a good laugh.



Singing the National Anthem


We had an opportunity to do a Jewish dance and it was great loads of fun!


We ended the cruise with worship led by Kevin and prayer by Ps Leslie. We also had a quick communion because the 1 hr was up and another group was already waiting.


I personally enjoyed this part of the tour. The calming sea was extremely welcoming to the soul. Imagine, being on the same lake Jesus was at some 2000 years ago. Nature has an amazing way of bringing the presence of God. I know he was there among us that morning.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: