Pages

Monday, February 11, 2008

Ang Pow

"Ang Pow" is a red packet or envelope filled with money. During Chinese New Year, married couples gives these red packets to children and singles. The funny tradition is, as long as you are a single, you will be elligible to receive 'ang pow', even if you are 60 years old!

Its wonderful to be a child during Chinese New Year. For my children, its because of the money which they will accumulate throughout this season.

An average red packet consist of RM5 (THB50). So far, Joel says that the minimum he has received in a red packet was RM3 (THB30). Not bad. The maximum he has received is RM100 (THB1,000).

My children has been fantasizing about the things they want to purchase with the 'ang pow' money. When I was a child, I used to save it in the bank. I hope they will do that too.

1 comment:

Kellan said...

I love hearing about these traditions and I think this one is a great one!! Thanks for sharing - Kellan